AREA & ACTIVITIES
Farmstead ‘the Lakenvelder’ is located amidst the meadows and feels completely isolated, yet the towns center is within walking distance (600m). Gilze (township: Gilze en Rijen) has about 7500 inhabitants and houses two supermarkets, a bakery, a butcher and several other stores but also nice cafes and restaurants.
This area is full of life. Real Dutch cities Tilburg and Breda are nearby, as is the Efteling (an absolute must do) and Beekse Bergen safari park. Antwerp, Belgium is close enough to visit in a single day as well.
Additionally Gilze is a true cycling city that connects to the various cycle routes, or allows you to choose your own cycling route. Our homestead is located between junction 58 and 69. Along these routes are homely cafes, cultural and historic buildings, towns and stunning views. In the adjacent forest there are many trails to be found for mountain biking, hiking and horse riding.
Farmstead ‘de Lakenvelder’ is affiliated with Toerlezjoere.
Cafes and restaurants
Closeby the farmstead several restaurants can be visited. Please find a list of some we would recommend:
- Eetcafé Den Brooy, restaurant, Chaamseweg 21 in Gilze
- Lunchroom Samen, Heuvel 1 in Gilze
- Irish Pub & diner The Banner, Nieuwstraat 50/52 in Gilze
- De Hof van Gilze, grand-café & cafetaria, Steenakkerplein 2 in Gilze.
- De Huyskamer, Bisschop de Vetplein 9 in Gilze.
- De Hooikar, cafe with terrace, Alphenseweg 14a in Gilze
- Restaurant Chaamse Hoeve, Gilzeweg 24 in Chaam
- Brasserie Schutterlust, Bavelseweg 165 in Molenschot
- Barbecue.nl delivers all you need for a good BBQ, and takes care of the dish washing
If you want to read more about all Gilze has to offer, we recommend you to visit www.ontdekgilzeenrijen.nl (in Dutch)
If you want to go out with a bicycle, but did not bring your own, check Adams fietsenverhuur, they will deliver the bikes at our farm and pick them up later.
Program with children
For an enjoyable and active week with children, we have a suggested week planning for you.
Day 1 At De Steengroeve you can practice your swing at miniature golf, jump the trampoline or play with “Piet Plezier”, finishing with a delicious Dutch pancake.
Day 3 Relaxing at the homestead with plenty of indoor and outdoor toys for the children. This night can be perfect for a good barbecue.
Day 4 Whether it’s rainy or the sun is shining doesn’t matter in Speelboerderij de Vossenberg where children under the age of 12 can enjoy indoor and outdoor play while you enjoy a good cup of coffee.
Day 6 A nice walk, with a daypack on the back. Starting at the farmstead it takes a short hour to het Witgoor or het Ossegoor where you can picnic and enjoy the lake view. A bit further, but reachable to the cyclists or by car is National Parc Loonse en Drunense duinen, with again plenty of hiking and cycling trails
Program for adults
Booked with a group of adult, and not looking for merry go rounds and children activities? Want to be active the one day and enjoy a lazy time the next? This program might give you some inspiration.
Day 1 A day of shopping in Breda or Tilburg, both located about 15 minutes away.
Day 2 After the city it is time to get out into nature. Get active at National Parc Loonse en Drunense duinen with many hiking and biking trails.
Day 3 Giving you feet their well deserved rest by relaxing in and around the farm can be finished with a great barbecue in the evening.
Day 4 Seeing some culture in a museum, such as IJzertijdboerderij, a museum decidated to the Iron Age or De (leer)looierij, where you get to know all you never knew about leather tannery, both located in Dongen.
Day 5 Hiking boots on and daypack packed. Within 45 minutes from the farm to het Witgoor or het Ossegoor in the Chaamse forest. This place gives you great views on the lake. After a homemade picnic you go up and about, walking some more in the beautiful forest before heading back to the homestead.
Day 6 What better way to finish a short vacation than to toast on it? Visit Abdij Koningshoeven for some local trappist. Prefer wine? Then maybe you’re better of visiting Dassemus, a vineyard, where tours and tastings are held.
Even more activities
- Enjoy a spiritual weekend, guided by Ilse from de Weerspiegeling
- Den Overkaent botanic garden in Gilze
- De Wascht en Strekt, a museum with washing and ironing history
- De Tuin Oven cooking class including a wood fired oven
- Geerts Gilze ride in a traditional covered wagon
- De Oude Schouten Hofstad historical farmstead with lots of activities
- Try a game of footgolf on the first Dutch permanent footgolf parcours with 18 holes
- Gibbonsport action & outdoor activities like zip lines and archery
- De Hooikar golf course and golf clinics
- Or visit the website Visit Brabant for even more information & activities